Medical, Surgical Sciences and Advanced Technologies
The academic staff of the Department of Medical, Surgical Sciences and Advanced Technologies “GF Ingrassia” (DGFI) consists of 65 members involved in many different fields: anatomy, forensic medicine, general and paediatric surgery, haematology, hygiene and public health, neurology, neurosurgery, medical statistics, otolaryngology and audiology, radiodiagnostics and interventional radiology, neuroradiology, pathologic anatomy.
The research and teaching activities are conducted in several laboratories and in a multimedia classroom. The technical-administrative staff consists of 24 members.
The educational and training offers of the DGFI consists in a wide-ranging set of graduate programs and postgraduate courses in Medicine and Health Professions. Particularly, the DGFI offers 4 Bachelor degree courses in: Audioprothesic Techniques; Biomedical Laboratory Techniques; Nursing; Speech and Language Therapy; and one Master degree course in Health Professions of Rehabilitation Sciences. Furthermore, Schools of Specialisation of the University of Catania's DGFI are: Medical Physics; Forensic Medicine; Hygiene and Preventive Medicine; Neurosurgery; Paediatric Surgery; Pathologic Anatomy; Radiodiagnostics; Otolaryngology; Neurology; Audiology and Phoniatrics; Digestive Surgery.
The DGFI is engaged in basic, clinical and translational research for the innovation in health systems, excellence in the diagnosis and treatment of diseases, health promotion and prevention of diseases. Several national and international collaborations and agreements with prestigious Universities and institutions are established by the academic staff of the DGFI, to share and deepen research activities and to allow the mobility of the teaching staff, students and research fellows.
In the DGFI three Research Centers (RC) are established: Interdisciplinary RC on the Diagnosis and Therapy of Brain Tumors; Multi-disciplinary RC for the Diagnosis and Therapy of Fabry disease and for Organ Transplantation; Interdepartmental RC for the implementation of physical, chemical and biological monitoring in the bioremediation systems and aquaculture.
The research activities include:
- Prevention and treatment of the following diseases: Parkinson, multiple sclerosis, diseases of nervous system, neurodegenerative diseases, amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, epilepsy and sleep disorders.
- Pediatric cancer, brain tumors, thyroid cancers, ocular tumors and soft tissue cancer.
- The Forensic Medicine is directed to the acquisition of information useful for medical practice (ethic and law codes), and to apply medical knowledge to civil or criminal law cases. The research is focused, in particular, on the study of Forensic Pathology, Traumatology, and Forensic Toxicology.
- The focus of a public health intervention is to prevent and manage diseases, injuries and other health conditions through surveillance of cases and the promotion of healthy behaviors, communities and environments.
- Development of mini-invasive and robotic surgery in oncologic and inflammatory bowel diseases, organ transplantation and obesity.
- CT scan and RMI in the diagnosis of several diseases with the contemporary advanced of interventional techniques.